Cockriel & Christofferson – Working For Your Business
At Cockriel & Christofferson, LLC, we have been assisting businesses for nearly 15 years with disputes – through alternative dispute resolution and civil court trials in both state and federal courts – and with negotiation of contracts and agreements. We have the knowledge and experience to help your business in matters related to:
Recovery from breach of contract
When a party to a contract fails to perform, the other business suffers. This damage often goes beyond the immediate inconvenience of getting less than promised by the contract. The breach can also cost you future profits if you are unable to serve your clients as a result. The skilled attorneys at Cockriel & Christofferson, LLC can help you achieve the best legal remedy for a breach of contract, such as:
- Compensatory damages — reimbursement for immediate monetary loss
- Consequential and incidental damages — compensation for additional foreseeable losses caused by the breach
- Attorney fees and costs — amounts available only if the contract expressly states they are recoverable
- Liquidated damages — amounts specified in the contract that are payable for particular breaches, such as late or substandard performance
- Specific performance — court order requiring the breaching party to fulfill the terms of the contract
- Punitive damages — penalty for a party’s objectionable behavior, meant to punish the breaching party and discourage other parties from acting in a similar manner
- Rescission — cancellation of the contract, with both sides excused from further performance and payments made under the contract returned
- Reformation — change in the terms of the contract when the court believes there was an honest misunderstanding about what was to be performed
Affordable alternatives to a civil suit
The cost of traditional litigation can easily exceed the amount of the contract. Fortunately there are various means of alternative dispute resolution (ADR), including mediation and arbitration, which are less costly and quicker than civil lawsuits, but can deliver the same remedies. Our experienced negotiators have successfully represented clients in arbitration and mediation hearings and have settled lawsuits prior to trial, saving our clients expenses and getting their businesses back on track.
Contact a dependable St. Louis law firm to get your business moving again
If your business has been damaged by someone else’s conduct, you need to take action. Delaying the exercise of your rights could mean losing them. Recovering damages could mean the difference between profitability and insolvency for your company. Contact Cockriel & Christofferson, LLC online or call us at 314.821.4200 to schedule an appointment.